Skip to main content

Deel family


Here is grandma Clarissa ("Clarie") Deel, 6 children, and their families. The five women surrounding their mother in the middle row are daughters Olive, Sarah, Cora or Myra, Inise, and Grace. Third from left in the back row is son Orville. For more names, see the source at http://www.ancientfaces.com/research/photo/405487 The photo is from family research and photo-sharing site Ancient Faces.


Comments

Natalia said…
(I am sorry this took so long--I haven't been getting notifications properly and just saw this today. I wish you had given a name or blog so I could let you know I'd posted it and replied.)

Don't think I haven't noticed it too! You are right except in degree...(I'm pretty sure that there are at least a couple that I did find). I am limited to the sites that I know of and the photos available on Ebay that I could afford.

You can tell Italian or Jewish families from the photos? I can't. Only, maybe, from the name, if it's given. There are probably some here.

I would love it if people knew of sites with large family photos of ethnicities other than Caucasian and would share them with me!

There are many ways that these photos don't represent all of society. When photography was newer it was more expensive, so poorer families of any race or those from less wealthy countries didn't take as many photos or get them taken of themselves. Therefore, poverty wasn't fairly represented either, for a while. Unfortunately, a lot of wealth was concentrated among the northern European races even once in America. African slaves, sadly, were not considered important enough to have many family photos taken and wouldn't have had the money to have it done themselves, in general. This is very early on, of course.

First Nations (native) peoples are also not well represented. One issue with that was that there were very few large families among them, due to low birth rates and probably other factors.

If you are aware of some places where these are available (and I would be allowed to share them, i.e. not limited by copyright) please let me know as I would love to know and post them. If you have some in your own family history, I would very much appreciate a scan to share.

Thank you for writing. I appreciate it.

Popular posts from this blog

Cox, Hershey, Bickmore, Isaacks, Armistead, Kellogg, Schroeder, unknown, and Anthony families.

April 2010 Please see updated information in the comments, and I've copied some of it under the Isaacks family halfway down this post. These are all linked from Ancient Faces. To see the original entry go to ancientfaces.com and search the names. Cox family, 1927. Left to right: Marion Absolom Cox, aged 36, b Feb 26, 1899; John Larkin Cox, b Aug 15, 1895; Alva Louis Cox, b Mar 20, 1901; Gilbert Raymond Cox, b Jan 2, 1904; Mary Cox, b Oct 13, 1886; Robert Dale Cox, b Nov 2, 1909; Mary Melvina {McReynolds} Cox, b Oct 10, 1871; John 'Turkey' Cox, b Aug 24, 1859. Henry (b Feb 13, 1820) Hershey and Caroline Good Hershey (b Feb 5, 1824) family. Children are: Alvin E Hershey, b Feb 28, 1842; Mary A Hershey, b Jul 10, 1843; Malinda G Hershey, b May 10, 1845; Nancy A Hershey, b Jan 18, 1848; Benjamin Hershey, b Feb 8, 1850. UPDATE: July 2009: "Keith" writes (slightly adjusted): Just a quick note to say I love your blog and it came to a surprise while s...

Francis Samuel (Bud) Johnson and family

This is the Bud Johnson family of Pike County, Arkansas. Names are on the photo itself. One son remains unlisted. The picture is from Ancient Faces, at http://www.ancientfaces.com/research/photo/380039 I am really depressed about this poor gentleman's unbuttoned waistcoat! Imagine how humiliating it would be to get those photos back and have no option for a retake.

Two beautiful "found photos"

I first saw these photos on a blog called Celestial Charms .  When I asked permission to post them here the owner kindly said I could post any photo from her Flickr photostream!  Thank you so much, Maureen! I'll start with the the two photos that I found at her blog post, Thoughts on Victorian Fashion. As usual, please click on the photos to see them at their best.   First is a lovely photo of five little brothers from Canajoharie, New York.    Next is one of the same five boys with their two sisters and their parents as well.   They look like a pretty well-to-do family, and with all those boys there must have been a fair bit of mischief going on.  And with the girls, even more.  I can say this as my family is almost exactly the same in make-up, though spread out in age more than this one.   See Maureen's thoughts about the fashion and dating of these photos here at Celestial Charms--Thoughts on Victorian Fashion . T...